A Brief History of St Michael’s Church, Beer.
The Church of St Michael was constructed on the site of an existing chapel (dating to pre 1146) by the Hon. Mark Rolle at a cost of about £7,186.18s.3d. The initial plans were drawn up in 1876 by the architect was John Hayward, who also carried out other work for the Rolle family, including the Church at Bicton. The church was consecrated in 1878.
Much of the Church is built of Beer stone from the famous local quarry, which is now open to visitors. The walls and most of the tower are built of Hoole Head blue limestone.
The Church was originally built with a spire, but this was taken down in the 1960’s. During this time, the peal of five bells was installed. The bells came from All Saints Church, Braywood.
The original bell (an Angelus bell probably dating to the sixteenth century) was taken down and is now housed and displayed alongside the clock.
In 2014, the Church was re-ordered, taking out four rows of pews from the back of the nave; all of the pews on the north side (making room for a concealed kitchen service area) and re-configuring the pews on the south side to make the small chapel and children’s area. This alteration has proved very beneficial as St Michael’s can now enjoy sharing Lent Lunches/Soup of the Soul, Mickeys Music Makers and after-service coffee & tea. We even have the occasional Quiz night and a Christmas Fair, raising funds for the Church.